Volunteer as a Travel Companion with Special Journeys Travel Companion Association, a Nebraska non-profit organization
Travel Companions are volunteers who help care for individuals with disabilities on chaperoned vacations. Supervised by a tour leader, they assist with traveler cares. All expenses are covered except snacks and souvenirs. It's like a working vacation to a fun destination and can be a very rewarding experience.
Hear what other Travel Companions have to say about their wonderful experiences with Special Journeys. We have a brochure available with quotes from Travel Companions that can be viewed here.
Read about the impact the vacations have had on travelers' lives in a recently published article. A copy of the article text can be viewed here.
Team Leadership on Trips
Each vacation is led by a tour leader with 18 years of experience leading Special Journeys vacations. Each trip will also have a number of Head Travel Companions, who have been on multiple past trips and have completed a dedicated training program. Each Head Travel Companion supervises and assists a small group of individual Travel Companions. Throughout the trip they work with each Travel Companion and the travelers assigned to them to ensure they have a successful trip. This means ensuring that the travelers are well cared for and having a great time.
What are the Responsibilities of a Travel Companion
- Interact with the travelers by listening to them and their needs.
- At attractions, walk with the travelers and engage them in the experience.
- At gift stores, assist the travelers in selecting items so they can take memorable souvenirs home.
- Sit with travelers on the bus and at meal times.
- At mealtimes, help with drinks, ordering from the menu, and general eating assistance as needed.
- At the hotel, assist with personal cares as described on the Special Journeys paperwork for each traveler.
- Regularly communicate with your Head Travel Companion on how the trip is going from your perspective and let them know anything you may need assistance with or have questions about.
Frequently Asked Questions
Read about frequently asked questions and answers regarding the Travel Companion program here.
Travel Companion Steps and Requirements
- Be at least 18 years of age --19 if you live in Nebraska
- Submit a completed Travel Companion Application
- Pass background and reference checks
- Pass an Interview with the Travel Companion Coordinator
- Read and sign all releases and non-disclosure documents
- Follow all Travel Companion policies which will be sent to you once you have become an approved Travel Companion
Begin the Process of Becoming a Travel Companion
You can download the Travel Companion Application here.
If you are a 1:1 Travel Companion from an agency coming with a traveler on a vacation
Click here to download a specific 1:1 Travel Companion Application.
Click here to view and sign the Travel Companion release and non-disclosure documents.
Who can I contact to learn more information?
Nicole is the Travel Companion Coordinator. She can be reached via phone at (402) 403-4386 or via email at email@example.com